Monday, January 26, 2009

Financial Freedom

I may reiterate this several times but I am a CPA. Not only am I an accountant but I have a tendency towards being frugal (or cheap you can decide which). I don't have to tell you the world is in financial turmoil, it is somewhat obvious. Everyone is looking for money, bailouts, what have you. I could set up a link to MSNBC on this but I think everyone can pretty much find it themselves. Which brings us to the buzz phrase of the century "Financial Freedom" (I hate buzz words and phrases but that is a discussion for another time). The term Financial freedom is used in I don't know how many ways but usually by some moron trying to consolidate our debt for us "in 5 min right over the phone". In my opinion the kind of financial freedom advertised on the radio will come only when our entire commerce system crashes and we can go back to trading chickens for flour. Since that doesn't appear to be imminent we will go with the next best thing which is actually possible even for the financially stupid, ex. doctors (don't argue I have immediate family in the field and I know the truth). My view of financial freedom is the freedom from thinking about how crappy ones finances on a constant basis. There are very few people who have not had the plesant experience of worrying for days at a time about the mortgage, car payment, utilities, credit card balance, credit card balance, credit card balance, etc. We live in this fantastic society that allows us to purchase everything we want even if we can't afford it or the payments on the loan for it. None of this is new, we have all heard it before but how many of us out that have actually admitted to ourselves that we are one of those that bought too much. I would wager to say not too many, but right now as you are reading this there is a nagging itch in the back of your mind shaped suspiciously like this $SCREWED$. At this point you should be saying to yourself something to the effect of "I really do need help". Of course there is no way in this economy that anyone is going to pay a professional financier to help them get there financial life in order, I'll be the first to say that kind of thing is way too expensive. So, whether you like it or not, I am going to try my best to provide my insights into reducing our great financial mental handicapp. I figure everyone needs to help others in some unselfish way, and this is the only way I can help people because it is pretty much the only thing I am good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment